Featured Recipe: Flaxseed buns
Even I can bake these! They make an awesome replacement for bread and are extremely filling. What’s more flaxseeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and can help with digestion and balancing hormones.
Prep time: 45mins
- 150 g flaxseeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (you can also use apple cider vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (you can also use melted coconut oil)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to fan 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl using a fork. Beat in the remaining ingredients and leave the batter to rest for 5 minutes to thicken up.
- Take 4-5 tablespoons of batter and shape into a bun with your hands. Place on the prepared baking and use wet hands to shape/smooth the top and to press down lightly so that the bun is 5mm-1cm thick. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes until the buns spring back to touch.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then slice in half and fill.
Try them post workout with eggs for a great re-fuel! You can make the recipe more economical if you buy whole linseeds and blast them a blender to make the flax.
Recipe Source: http://www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe-video-flaxseed-buns/